Google launched the mid-ranger Pixel 7a at Google I/O 2023 and we are in awe with this smartphone. The search giant also introduced the company’s flagship smartphones – the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro, last year which went on to become one of the best Android phones to buy. Even in 2023, Pixel 7 and 7 Pro are still among the top Android phones that you can buy now. Pixel 7 series boasts the integration of a Tensor G2 chipset for superb performance and Android 13 for a seamless software experience. While the improved camera app with ground-breaking AI tools makes the Pixel 7 series one of the top choices for photography enthusiasts out there.
All that said, Pixel 7 series has been reported for multiple issues like any other Android smartphone. Users have reported touchscreen issues, fingerprint unlocking problems, camera issues, eSIM setup issues, and more.
We all were hopeful that the Pixel 7a would come out fine this year, but things are not going in the right direction. Recently, the Google Pixel 7a was reported for slow charging as well as overheating issues. As a user, it is really frustrating to even imagine a problematic smartphone, especially when it is Google’s phone with zero bloatware.
Nonetheless, it is a fact and we can’t shy away from these issues on Pixel 7, Pixel 7 Pro, and Pixel 7a. That said, most problems are acknowledged by Google, and they have been pushing updates regularly to fix them. It’s just that those software updates arrive somewhat late. But for the time being, we have invested hours in researching on Reddit, Google Community, and other public forums to compile a list of common Pixel 7 problems that have been haunting users for a while. We have also mentioned tried and tested solutions that can help you fix the common problems on Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro, effectively.
Disclaimer: Proceed at your own risk, TechieTechTech will not be responsible if anything goes wrong with your device.
List of Common Problems on Google Pixel 7, Pixel 7 Pro, and Pixel 7a & Solutions to Fix Them
1. Charging issues on Pixel 7 series
Is your Pixel 7 Pro connected but not charging? If yes, let me tell you something. There are multiple issues that we might face while using a smartphone, and the charging issue is the most common among them. You might feel strange hearing this, but we have come across a number of reports where users have complained about different charging issues on the Pixel 7 series. So, if you are facing charging problems on Pixel 7a or Pixel 7 Pro, you need to understand that it could be due to software or hardware issues. Sometimes a faulty cable, faulty power outlet, insufficient power input, or dust/debris clogged inside the charging port could be the reason why your Pixel 7 Pro is not charging or charging very slowly. We have mentioned quick fixes in the section below, so make sure to try them out to prevent or fix charging issues on Pixel 7 series.
- If you are unable to charge the Pixel 7 series, the first and foremost solution we recommend is a quick reboot. If any software issue is hindering the normal charging of Pixel 7, a quick restart always comes in handy.
- If the issue persists, take a closer look at the charging ports and ensure that there’s no dust, debris, or lint inside. If you find something inside the charging port, make sure to clean it using a clean soft toothbrush to fix the Pixel 7 not charging problem.
- Are you using third-party cheap charging accessories for your Pixel 7, Pixel 7 Pro, and Pixel 7a? If yes, it could be the reason why your Pixel 7a is charging relatively slower than the maximum charging speed. To prevent charging issues on Pixel 7, we always recommend using official or reliable charging accessories with power output equivalent to the device’s maximum charging speed. Here are some of our tested recommendations for Pixel 7 Pro and Pixel 7.
- Sometimes, a faulty third-party app can be also the reason why your Pixel 7 Pro is connected but not charging. Therefore, it is best to boot your device in Safe Mode and see if it is charging. If your Pixel 7 series charges flawlessly in Safe Mode, you need to understand that a third-party app is causing the problem. Make sure to spot the app and uninstall it from your device to resolve the problem.
- Let’s not forget that if your device is overheating, there’s a possibility that your Pixel 7 Pro won’t charge at all. So, if you find out that your device is hot, make sure to unplug your charger and place it in a cool environment as soon as possible. Do not put it in a freezer or a refrigerator. Just remove the case and let it cool itself down. After a while, your Pixel 7 will work fine and charge flawlessly as ever.
If these methods weren’t handy, we recommend checking our detailed guide on how to fix charging issues on Pixel 7 and Samsung Galaxy smartphones.
2. Calls automatically drop after a couple of seconds
While researching, we also came across user reports indicating Pixel 7 Pro call-dropping issues. As per the users, incoming calls on Pixel 7 Pro drop immediately after a few seconds. That’s not all, users claimed that the Pixel 7 call-dropping issue persists even when trying to call back. The initial impression suggested that the
network-related problems could be behind issues where Pixel 7 calls ended immediately. If you are among such users who are facing Google Pixel 7 call-dropping issues, don’t worry. We have listed possible workarounds suggested by users on different forums to fix calls not going through Pixel 7.
- Some Reddit users have claimed that Pixel 7 dropping calls issues are temporarily fixed after toggling the AirPlane mode. While some recommended that toggling the AirPlane mode every hour or every time before making a call fixed the issue where Google Pixel 7 keeps dropping calls.
- A few users have reported that disabling VoLTE come to their rescue to fix the Google Pixel 7 dropping call problem.
- Lastly, corrupted network settings could be the reason behind the issue where your Pixel 7 Pro is dropping calls immediately. In such cases, we recommend resetting the network settings of your device or waiting for the next software update that could resolve the issue.
3. Not receiving text messages on the Pixel 7 and 7 Pro
The call-dropping issue is not the only problem that has been haunting Pixel 7 users for a while. We have also seen a number of Reddit users complaining about Pixel 7 not receiving text messages. Many users who have reported Pixel 7 Pro not receiving SMS are either the ones who have recently upgraded from a non-
5G phone or using AT&T and Verizon SIM cards. So, if you are wondering why am I not receiving texts on my Pixel 7, we have mentioned a few ways that could be handy in curbing the issue.
- If you have recently upgraded to Pixel 7 series from a non-5G phone, we recommend you upgrade your SIM or set up eSIM with the help of customer service.
- Are you using AT&T and Verizon SIM and experiencing an issue where Pixel 7 is not receiving text messages from iPhone? If yes, make sure to manually set up APN using the 5G settings mentioned here. That’s not all, a Reddit user was able to resolve the Pixel 7 messages not working issue by asking Verizon support to resync the message service.
- You can also try enabling or disabling the Chat feature on the Messages app to see if it helps. To do so, Open the Message app > Tap on the profile icon at the top-right corner > Tap on Manage Settings > Chat features and enable or disable the Chat feature.
4. Lag, stutters, and erratic behavior when scrolling
If you are facing Pixel 7 Pro stuttering or lagging issues, you are not alone. Several Pixel 7 series users have complained about the Pixel 7 Pro’s laggy scrolling on different apps or on the Google Discover page. While the actual reason behind this issue is unknown, many users have been able to fix the Google Pixel 7 Pro laggy scrolling problem by tweaking Touch Feedback settings, and more. Please refer to the possible solutions section to fix the Pixel 7 lag issue.
- Many users have claimed that reducing touch feedback sensitivity has helped fix the Pixel 7 Pro lag scrolling problem. To do so, go to Settings > Sound and Vibration > Vibration and haptics, then reduce the Touch Feedback sensitivity to level 1 or 2.
- You can also try disabling the Smooth Display settings to check whether the issue gets resolved. To disable Smooth Display, go to Settings > Display and toggle off Smooth Display. Please note that doing this will revert the refresh rate back to 60Hz.
If you didn’t find any success in fixing Pixel 7 scroll issue, we suggest waiting until a new software update is pushed for the same.
5. Google Pixel 7 Pro screen flickering
Are you wondering why the screen on the new Pixel 7 is Pro is flickering green? Well, the flickering issue on Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro has been reported by several users on Reddit and other forums. Apparently, the issue arises while watching an HDR video or while trying to change the video resolution during playback on any media streaming service. That’s not all, some even complained that they experience Pixel 7 screen flickering issues when the Always-ON display is turned on or while using the night mode. Honestly, different users have reported different reasons behind the screen flickering issue on Pixel 7 Pro. But, by the looks of it, it looks more like a hardware problem than the software.
Fortunately, there are a few workarounds that have helped users fix Pixel 7 screen flickering issue.
- Many Google community forum users have claimed that changing graphic driver performance is under developer options. You can do so by going to Settings > About Phone, then find the build number and tap it seven times to enable the Developer options. Once the developer option is enabled, find the Graphics driver preferences, and make sure to toggle it off.
- If you are experiencing Pixel 7 Pro screen flickering issue, we recommend you should take it to the service center for a replacement unit.
6. Pixel 7 Pro touchscreen issues
Apart from scrolling issues on Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro, users have reported multiple touch screen issues such as touch recognized as a long press to touch not working at times. Many users have reported the touch screen being unresponsive while typing on the Pixel 7 series. So, if you are experiencing inconsistent or unresponsive screens on Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro, make sure to try out the different solutions mentioned in the section below.
- Some affected users have claimed that toggling the screen on and off has fixed the Pixel 7 unresponsive touchscreen. Therefore, we also recommend you do so to see if it resolves the touch screen issues on Pixel 7 Pro.
- If the above method isn’t handy for you, you can try restarting your device as it has been claimed as an alternative way to curb the Pixel 7 touchscreen issue.
- If nothing helped to fix touch screen issues, make sure to increase the touch sensitivity from the device settings. To do so, go to Settings > Display > toggle the switch beside the Increase Touch Sensitivity option to enable it.
7. Issues making payments with Google Wallet
No doubt, Google Wallet/Pay is one of the best ways to make payments on the go. However, several users took to Reddit to show their concern about Google Wallet or Google Pay not working on Pixel 7 Pro. So, if you are among some unlucky users experiencing issues where Google Wallet is unavailable on Pixel 7, please look for possible fixes in the section below.
- Many users have reported that they couldn’t make payments from Google Pay/Wallet on Pixel 7 series when they used the face unlock feature. Therefore, it is recommended to unlock your device using a fingerprint scanner before making any payment via Google Wallet or Google Pay.
- Is Google Wallet disappeared from your app drawer? Well, it is possible as a Reddit user has expressed his concern on the forum about a similar issue. It has been reported that even if you’ve set up Google Wallet during the initial setup process, you might not find the app on your phone. Apparently, clearing the cache of the Google Services Framework app is the solution for this. You can do that by going to Settings > Settings > Apps > Google Services Framework (make sure to enable Show System apps) > Storage and cache, then tap on Clear cache.
8. Fingerprint unlocking issues
We have reported fingerprint unlocking issues while we covered Pixel 6 series problems. Sadly, the latest Pixel series has similar issues. Many Reddit users have complained about Pixel 7 fingerprint not working with a screen protector. While some showed concern about slow or inconsistent fingerprint on Pixel 7 Pro on the Google community forum too. If you are among such users who are complaining about Google Pixel 7 Pro fingerprint sensor not working issue, don’t worry. Apparently, there are multiple workarounds suggested by users that can fix the fingerprint not working problem on Pixel 7.
- Are you looking for a solution to fix the Pixel 7 fingerprint reader not working? If yes, the first thing you should try is registering the same fingerprint twice. It seems to have helped many users get rid of Pixel 7 pro fingerprint sensor not working issues. To do so, go to Settings > Security > Fingerprint unlock, then add the same fingerprint again.
- If your Pixel 7’s fingerprint sensor is not working with screen protectors, it is possible that your glass screen protector could be the real culprit. To prevent fingerprint-related issues on Pixel 7 and 7 Pro, we recommend getting Pixel 7/7 Pro screen protectors approved by Google.
- We also recommend increasing the touch sensitivity in the device setting if you are experiencing Pixel 7 fingerprint reader not working. You can do so by going to Settings > Display > toggle the switch beside the Increase Touch Sensitivity option to enable it. Also don’t forget to enable the Screen Protector mode. For that, go to Settings > Display > toggle the Screen Protector mode.
- If fingerprint enrollment still doesn’t work on your Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro, we recommend waiting for the next software update. Prior to our coverage, Google has pushed many updates in the past which were intended to improve Pixel 7 fingerprint sensor and touchscreen issues. Therefore, if you haven’t updated your Pixel 7 series, make sure to do it now.
9. Android Auto issues
If your Pixel 7 is not connecting to Android Auto, you are not alone. Many users have complained about the issue on various public forums such as Reddit, Google Community, etc. Firstly, it is one of the most common problems faced by many users on their Android smartphones. For your reference, Android Auto issues have been previously reported in popular flagship models across brands such as the
To remind you, Google has already fixed a major Android Auto issue where nothing used to show up on the car’s screen. Therefore, to be on the safe side, make sure to update the app. If updating doesn’t help you to fix Android Auto disconnecting issue on the Pixel 7 Pro, make sure to try the solutions mentioned in the section below.
- If you have transferred settings from your old phone, there’s a possibility of Android Auto not working on your Pixel 7. To fix this, you can clear the Android Auto app’s cache and data. For that, you can go to Settings > Apps > Android Auto > Storage and cache, then clear the cache and app data. Once you are done, make sure to check if the Pixel 7 Android Auto problem is fixed or not.
- We can’t rule out hardware issues when Android Auto is not working on Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro. Therefore, we recommend you test the cable with another device to check whether it is in working condition or not.
- If you are having a problem with Android Auto Wireless, let me tell you that initially, it could be spotty. Therefore, a wired connection is recommended for initial setup.
10. Pixel 7a eSIM issues / No network or No SIM errors
We had reported eSIM and no network registered issue on Pixel 6 series in the past. And now, it seems that the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro are also facing the same problem. A few users have reported that they are still seeing connection drops on Pixel 7. While some complained that Pixel 7 Pro is showing a No SIM error while setting up the phone with a physical SIM.
If you are facing network issues on Pixel 7a, it is best to reset the network settings by going to Settings > Reset > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile, and Bluetooth > then tap on Reset Settings. You will be asked to enter your PIN, password, and pattern to confirm.
Note: All the connected Bluetooth devices and Wi-Fi networks will be deleted and you will have to connect them again.
For those who are still getting network errors, we recommend waiting for the next update as Google has acknowledged these issues and working on a fix.
Also read: How to fix Nothing Phone (1) Common Problems
11. App issues and random reboots
A few Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 pro owners have complained about random reboots and app crashing/freezing issues. From past experience, we can tell that a faulty third-party app or software bug/glitch could be behind the app crashing and random restarts on Pixel 7 series. If you are way too worried about the same, please don’t. The issue is easily fixable from the comfort of your house.
- If you are having issues with a particular app in your Pixel 7 series, the first thing you should do is Clear the app cache. To do so, you can go to Settings > Apps > Storage and cache > tap on the Clear cache option.
- If it didn’t work, we also recommend you tap on the Clear data option to fix the app crashing issues on Google Pixel 7. Please note that clearing app data will erase everything about the app and you will need to log back in. We suggest you back up your data before doing this.
- If your Pixel 7 is randomly rebooting, a faulty third-party app or software issue could be behind this. To double-check, you can boot your Pixel 7 series in Safe mode to see if a third-party app is causing the problem.
12. Auto Rotate Not Working
Is auto rotation not working on your Pixel 7 series? Well, you’re not alone, auto rotation issues have been reported by many Google Pixel users on the Google Community and Reddit. The actual reason behind this issue is unknown as of now, but some users have claimed that performing a soft reset has fixed the issue. Apparently, holding the power button for 45 seconds can resolve the Pixel 7 auto rotate not working issue.
13. Pixel 7 and 7 Pro audio and speaker issues
The latest Pixel 7 series has been also reported for low audio quality and speaker issues. The complaint ranges from low volume on Bluetooth earphones, to distorted audio during calls. So, if you are among a few unlucky users who are facing audio issues on Pixel 7 and 7 Pro, check the following section for the solutions.
- Users have suggested that adjusting equalizer settings on the Wavelet app (for headphones) and Flat Equalizer app (for speakers) improves the audio quality.
- We also recommend you enable the Adaptive Sound settings to see if it improves the audio quality of the external speakers. To do so, go to Settings > Sound and Vibration > Adaptive sound, and then enable it.
- If you are getting low volume or experiencing distorted audio calls over Bluetooth devices, it could be due to a network issue. You can reset the network settings on your Pixel 7 series to check whether it helps resolve the issue.
14. Camera issues / Blurry front camera photos
No doubt, the Google Camera app is great as it offers a great videography and photography experience. However, it seems that Pixel 7 users aren’t happy with the camera quality and the different issues they have been encountering. Many users have complained about the camera app’s failed error on Pixel 7 while using the rear camera. We have also come across numerous complaints about the camera quality of the Pixel 7 Pro and Pixel 7a. As per the reports, the front-facing camera is the culprit for taking blurry and grainy images. That’s not all, 4K HDR video recording is also alleged of taking grainy as well as distorted videos. Many users have claimed that updating the camera app has helped to fix the Pixel 7 Pro camera not working problem. While some claimed that using an alternate camera app on the Pixel 7 series helps.
15. Quick Tap gesture for a flashlight not working
Is the Quick Tap gesture not working on the Pixel 7 Pro? If yes, you might be among a few users who have complained on Google Forum about the unresponsive Quick Tap gesture for enabling the flashlight. That said, the function works perfectly for taking screenshots, pausing media, and more. In addition, a few users have complained about the inconsistent “Double tap the back” feature. So, if you are annoyed by these issues on Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro, there’s nothing much you can do. Fortunately, Google has acknowledged these issues, and we are hopeful that the issue will be resolved with the next software update.
16. Loose/Disconnected volume buttons
Google Pixel 7 Pro is one of the best Android phones you can buy, but the fact that it has been reported with multiple quality control issues, users are quite annoyed with it. Not long ago, Android Central’s Nichola Sutrich wrote about a problem that might be surprising for many of you. As per the post and images uploaded by him, the volume button of Sutrich’s Pixel 7 Pro looked completely disconnected from the sides. There’s no further damage to the phone though. Seems like a quality control issue. We searched about the issue and found out that several users have complained about loose volume buttons on Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro. Therefore, if you are among those unlucky users, make sure to get in touch with Google Support and ask for a replacement unit.
17. GPS not working
The reason behind GPS not working on Pixel 7 series could be many. We have previously covered possible reasons behind GPS issues in a guide addressing the problem on Samsung Galaxy smartphones. Users have complained that they are having issues with GPS navigation or Google Maps on your Google Pixel 7. From what we have seen, it could be due to a software issue or an outdated Google Maps app. In such cases updating the app and software (if available) might come in handy for you.
Common Problems on Google Pixel 7, Pixel 7 Pro, and Pixel 7a
Like every newly launched Android smartphone, the Pixel 7 series has been in the news for all the wrong reasons for some time now. Many users took to Reddit, Google Community, and Twitter to show their concern about experiencing the most common yet annoying issues on Pixel 7, Pixel 7 Pro, and Pixel 7a. These include infamous overheating issues, battery drain problems, Wi-Fi not working issues, as well as
Bluetooth connectivity issues. So, if you are frustrated due to any of these issues, we recommend going through the linked articles/guides in the section below.
18. Overheating issues on Pixel 7 series
Is your Pixel 7 overheating? Does your Piuxel 7a overheat while charging? Do you feel your Pixel 7 Pro is overheating while gaming or using a particular app? Before you get too worried, let me tell you that overheating is one of the most common issues reported by Android users. Several software bugs, the habit of using your device while charging, the use of low-quality phone cases, or playing resource-intensive games could be the reason behind Pixel 7 Pro overheating problem. Honestly, there could be many reasons that trigger the overheating problem. But the fact that it is fixable, you don’t have to worry. In the past, we have covered troubleshooting guides to fix overheating problems on different Android smartphones. Therefore, we recommend you
19. Google Pixel 7 Battery Drain Issues
Another common problem that is reported on almost every smartphone is the battery drain issue. Even though Pixel 7a is a fairly new device, many users have claimed that they are facing unusual battery drain even with a lower screen-on time. So, if you are facing overnight battery drain on Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro, don’t forget to read our guide. We also recommend you try all the methods that we have included in our troubleshooting guide for the best result.
20. Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting on the Pixel 7 series
Talking of common problems on Pixel 7, 7 Pro, and 7a, and not mentioning Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues are no less than a crime. We have come across multiple user reports claiming Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting and reconnecting on Pixel 7. While a few users complained about Pixel 7 constantly disconnecting from 5GHz Wi-Fi. Are you also facing Wi-Fi issues on Pixel 7, Pixel 7 Pro, and Pixel 7a? If yes, we recommend you
That’s all for now in this guide on how to fix common issues on Pixel 7, Pixel 7 Pro, and Pixel 7a. If you are still using the Pixel 6 series and encountering annoying problems reported by many users on public forums, we recommend you check our guide.
Banner Image Source: Unsplash