WhatsApp is amongst the most popular multi-platform communication tool used by billions of users across the globe on an everyday basis. Whether you want to share a photo with your friend or send some documents to your teammate, WhatsApp is the first thing that pops into the mind of most people. That’s not all. You can also send messages to yourself on WhatsApp. Yes, you can send notes, forward a message, make to-do lists, share recipe links from YouTube, copy Facebook video links, create shopping lists, and do much more. Basically, you can keep all your important stuff in one place so you can easily access it later when needed. When all your things are in one place, you don’t have to browse through those polluted emails, notes, photos, and more. You have everything handy for quick reference.
Best of all, when you chat with yourself on WhatsApp, you can easily search within the chat and all of your shared stuff is accessible across devices (where you’ve logged into WhatsApp using your phone number). So, if
I’ve been sending WhatsApp messages to myself for quite a long time now. Right from sharing YouTube links and documents to personal photos and videos, I send a lot of things to myself on WhatsApp almost every day. You may not realize its importance until you try it. And, once you start doing it, trust me, you’ll question yourself, why didn’t I think of doing it earlier?
In this article, we’ll way you through the top 3 ways to send a message to yourself on WhatsApp. Whether you want to send a WhatsApp message to yourself on iPhone, Android, or WhatsApp web, this guide will come in handy.
So, no more waiting, let’s get started!
How to message yourself on WhatsApp?
1. Using the Message Yourself feature
WhatsApp recently introduced a new feature, Message yourself which makes it easier to chat with yourself on WhatsApp.The Meta-owned instant messaging app has already started rolling out this feature globally, and it will reach all
iPhone and Android users in a few weeks. It will let you send text messages, photos, documents, contacts, and more to yourself on WhatsApp. While similar features are already available on some messaging apps like Slack, Signal, and Telegram, it’s definitely a welcome and useful addition for WhatsApp users.
Impressively, this is the easiest method to message yourself on WhatsApp on iPhone, Android, or the web. You don’t need to head to a browser or create a group to WhatsApp yourself. You can do that right within the app, and that too with a few taps. Yes, it’s quick, easy, and super convenient. Also, just like any other chats on WhatsApp, the messages you send to yourself will be end-to-end encrypted.
It’s worth mentioning that you can’t make audio or video calls, block/report yourself, see your last seen or online, mute notifications, or make Payments when using the Message Yourself feature on WhatsApp.
Note: Make sure your device is connected to the internet.
Here’s how to WhatsApp yourself on an iPhone:
1. Make sure you’re using the latest version of WhatsApp. To verify, head to App Store, type WhatsApp, and if you see an Update option, tap it.
2. Then, open WhatsApp.
3. Tap the New Chat option available in the top-right corner (on the right to the Camera icon).
4. Search for your name or phone number to send a WhatsApp message to yourself on your iPhone.
5. Tap it and you’ll see a chat screen with your name or phone number at the top. You’ll also see “Message yourself” right below your name.
6. You can now send a message, contact, photo/video, document, or other details to yourself.
- If you want to forward a message to yourself on WhatsApp, open the chat that has the message and look for & tap the forward message option. Then, search for your name/phone number and click the send icon.
If you frequently send WhatsApp messages to yourself, you can pin your chat at the top of the chats list. To do this, right-swipe your chat and tap Pin. Now, your chat will appear at the top. You can do this for any other chat that you want to see on the top.
Please note you can send a message to yourself on WhatsApp web or any Android phone by using the same steps. Open WhatsApp, search for your name or phone number, and you can WhatsApp yourself on Android or desktop.
2. Using the Click to Chat feature
Next, there’s a Click to chat feature that lets you chat with yourself on WhatsApp.
You can use this method to send a WhatsApp message to yourself or chat with anyone without saving their phone number in the contacts. No matter which number you want to chat with, it must be active on WhatsApp. Let’s see how to message yourself on WhatsApp web.
1. Open a web browser like Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer or phone.
2. In the address bar, type wa.me// followed by your phone number. Please note you also have to enter your country code before you type your number. Otherwise, you might get an “Invalid number” error.
3. You’ll be then redirected to a WhatsApp page.
4. For mobile users, you’ll see a prompt asking you to open this page in WhatsApp. Tap Open. Then, you’ll see a chat window with your name and profile picture displayed on the top. You can now send messages to yourself on WhatsApp. Also, you can share documents, photos, videos, and more.
5. If you’re using a PC or computer, you’ll see a window with a “Continue to Chat” button. Tap it. If you’ve installed the WhatsApp app, it will automatically open up for you. If you haven’t, you can choose “use WhatsApp Web”. You’ll then see a chat window with your name and profile picture on the top.
6. You can follow the same steps to send a WhatsApp message to any number that’s not saved in your contacts. In step 2, just replace your number with the number you wish to chat.
3. Create a Group
Lastly, to send messages to yourself on WhatsApp, you can use the Group feature.
You can create a group with one contact and remove it later. Once you do it, only you’ll be left in that group. Therefore, any message, photo, document, or link you share with that group will only be sent to you. Well, this is the most commonly used method to send messages, photos, or documents to yourself on WhatsApp. At some point in time, we all have done this. Right?
While this method to send WhatsApp messages to yourself might feel old-school, it has its own benefits. I find this method damn useful when I want to keep work-related and personal stuff in separate chats. Moreover, this method helps me keep my important document and pictures category-wise like documents for my VISA, YouTube links for references, Anniversary photos, and more. So, I don’t have to waste my time scrolling or searching for anything. I can easily go to that group and find anything when I need it. Since this method comes in really handy at times, you must know how to send messages to yourself on WhatsApp.
1. Open WhatsApp on your iPhone, Android phone, or desktop.
2. Tap New Group. If you don’t see that option tap three dots and select New Group.
3. Then, add a contact. You can add your sibling, mom, dad, or friend.
4. When prompted, add a group name.
5. Open the group and remove the contact that you added. Then, only you’ll be left in the group. You can send messages to yourself on WhatsApp.
6. You can create more groups using the same steps.
1. Can I send myself a message on WhatsApp?
Yes, you can send messages to yourself on WhatsApp. In addition to text messages, you can share photos, videos, documents, contacts, links, and more. There are three common ways to send WhatsApp messages to yourself. First, you can use the latest Message yourself feature. For this, make sure you’re using the latest version of WhatsApp and are connected to the internet. Then, open WhatsApp, tap New Chat, search for your name/phone number, and you can text yourself on WhatsApp.
Second, you can create a group with one contact, remove it, and then chat with yourself on WhatsApp.
Lastly, there’s a Click to Chat option to message yourself on WhatsApp. For this, open a web browser, type wa.me// followed by your phone number, and move with on-screen instructions. You’ll be redirected to a new chat window with your name and profile picture. Once you’re there, you can send yourself a message on WhatsApp.
2. How can I send WhatsApp contact to myself?
There are various ways to send a WhatsApp contact to yourself, and the Message yourself feature is the easiest of them all. For this, you must have a stable internet connection and the latest version of the WhatsApp app. Once you’ve got these, open the app and tap new chat. Next, search for your phone number or name and tap it. Then, tap the “+” icon from the bottom-left corner, choose Contact, then tap on the contact you want to share, and it’s done!
If you want to send a contact to yourself via WhatsApp web, you’ll have to go for the Self-Chat feature. First, type wa.me// followed by your phone number in the address bar of a web browser. Next, tap Continue to Chat and choose “use WhatsApp web”. Once you see a new chat with your name and profile picture, tap the attach icon from the bottom-left, choose Contact, and select the contact you want to send.
3. Why can’t I send messages to myself on WhatsApp?
One of the most common reasons why you can’t send messages to yourself on WhatsApp is poor or no internet connection. Since WhatsApp requires a stable internet connection, you must be connected to a Wi-Fi network or enable
Mobile data on your phone. Otherwise, you might not be able to send messages yourself on WhatsApp.
Next, it can be possible that WhatsApp servers are down at the moment and that’s why the service isn’t available on your device. When this happens, you won’t be able to send WhatsApp messages to anyone, from any device. Once the services are back in action, you can send messages to yourself on WhatsApp.
Don’t miss our troubleshooting guide on How to fix WhatsApp not working on an iPhone.
How do you send messages to yourself on WhatsApp? We’ll love to hear from you in the comments below.